Sunday, August 21, 2011

Lion's Den Project

I have recently been trying to develop a new bouldering area to the west of Cedar city. The Haven is a huge boulder field of solid welded tuft full of potential, from steep roofs to high ball slabs. Several problems V0-V3 have been put up along with one gem I was lucky to FA, Too Legit to Quit V8.
  In searching the area I found an amazing cave that I have dubbed The Lions Den.  It took a lot of cleaning but a hard line has been uncovered. The only problem now is the heat.  In order to work some beta Rachel and I headed out for a night session.  I was able to do all the moves but one on the project.  It seems like it will be a next level climb for me, I'm still not sure how hard its going to be.  All the potential foot holds seem just out of reach for me, the toe hooks required on the roof are very small and the toe box of aggressive shoes won't grab. One trick I have employed is wearing two different shoes.  The very aggressive Red Chili Matador on one foot and the La Sportiva  Muira VS, my go-to shoe, on the other foot.  I'm pretty psyched that things are coming together because the first time I tried it I wasn't sure it was possible. 









No comments:

Post a Comment