Sunday, January 8, 2012

Vegas Bouldering

Well I have been in Vegas for a few weeks now and I have actually done a fair amount of climbing.  The sandstone bouldering is unbelievable.  The first few sessions were a big wake-up call for me.  I was falling off of everything, I had grown so used to gritty rock and smearing my feet anywhere that my technique had fallen a bit behind.  Its unfortunate but I had become so used to just "burling" through everything that when a bit of finesse was required I started struggling.  With that in mind I have started to rebuild a base with footwork in mind every time I get on the rock.  It has been slow going but after 2 weeks and a few rest days this past week, I think it has finally started to payoff. Today was a near perfect day.

 To kick things off Rachel sent her problems with quickness and style.  We then marched up the steep canyon to the Dirty Rail V7.  I had previously tried this beautiful problem falling off the final top-out moves on my 2nd and 3rd effort.  After the third effort I was spent and had to leave it for another day.  Today things went much better and I sent the problem on my first try.  This made for a rather short stop so on the hike out we stopped by a great V4 called Drop the Tranny, I managed to pull off a quick onsight of this great problem.
To finish off the day we headed to Kraft and checked out Bubble Butt V7.  Bubble Butt has been my nemesis since arriving in Vegas.  This would be my third session and I still hadn't figured out the crux move.  Well after a few tries and simply applying proper technique I managed to pull of a send of this iconic problem just as the sun was falling behind the hills.

Here are a few shots of our day in the Calico Basin:
Cache trying not to fall asleep

Kraft

About midway on the Dirty Rail V7. The problem starts down past the first pad.

A Great problem everyone in the area should checkout.


Interesting foot beta gives access to the finish.


Drop the Tranny V4

No comments:

Post a Comment